Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Dreaded Blank Wall

So while this may only seem like a decorating post, I am adding it to Chatting at the Sky's Tuesdays Unwrapped. And here's why: my design dilemma of filling an empty wall turned into a walk down memory lane, reliving the 14 magical days spent on vacation with my amazing family. Today, I am unwrapping memories and then wrapping my wall in them! Head on over to see what other people are unwrapping today.



Every home has one... the dreaded blank wall that no matter what you do you just can't seem to find the right design element that will fit the room's scale and decor. Here's my dreaded wall:






It's one of the walls in my bedroom. And to make maters worse, it's the first thing we see when we wake up in the morning. The only decoration on that wall is this iron work vase. I absolutely LOVE it. It matches the old world, tropical theme is our master bedroom, plus it holds the dried buds from two of the bouquets by dear hubby gave me. Their colors of the buds are a lot more vibrant in person - I tried to fiddle around with the camera settings to capture it better, but am still feeling a little woozy from the bronchitis and called it quits after a few minutes.



But you can kind of see it and get the idea, right? So here is the reason that I never placed anything else on the wall to accompany it: I was waiting for that one perfect painting or wall hanging. Every other wall in the room is just right. I love the way the pictures and sconces look around the rest of our room. But as this was the last wall to tackle, I realized that I needed to put something on it that would balance out the room a bit and tie in the different old world, jungle and palm tree prints.


So I waited for that perfect piece...for six years.



And yesterday (after watching too many hours of HGTV, one of the nice parts of being sick), I decided: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!






I am ready to take the plunge and place some art on that wall. There are only two requirements:



1. It must be inexpensive. That way I can swap it out if at some point we grow tired of it, or if it simply does not tie in with the rest of the room.



2. It needs to be BIG in scale, but not necessarily in actual photo size. Keep reading, I'll explain.



For too long, I have held out for one BIG piece. But today I decided to take 4 or 6 prints from our last two Mexico vacations, enlarge them to at least 5x7 (maybe 8x10), and frame them with a chunky, textured mat. That way each photo is still a medium size, but the visual impact of grouping them together will say BIG! And that is what I need to fill up my last little empty bedroom wall.

(the turtle is a lot clearer in photoshop)

So I'm posting some of the potential candidates for these new art pieces. All of the photos you see on this post are from our last two trips, and I'm asking you for some help in picking out your favorites.


Not only will I be completing a project that I have put off for too many years, but I will be preserving a few more memories in a practical, beautiful way.






So take a look and let me know in the comments which two,
or four,
or six,
or eight I should use.



And what size do you think they should be?

5x7

8x10

mixture of both?



I look forward to hearing your thoughts and solutions for this master bedroom dilemma. Thanks for stopping by... and check back soon to see the unveiling.



And don't forget to head on over to Tuesdays Unwrapped.

6 comments:

  1. i really love that palm tree close up... maybe you could group four? close up, palm silhouttes, turtle and toes? good luck deciding... i'm getting ready to make a decision about photos in my room, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe number 1335 and 1709 (the palm tree ones) along with one of the water pictures...
    I would print two in 5x7 and 1 in an 8x10 :)

    I am planning on doing this with my sons room eventually - print pictures of places and experiences they have had and put the prints in matching frames around their room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going with a mixture of sizes and I have to say that my favorite is your cute little piggies covered in sand. I totally felt the sun just looking at it. You've got some absolutely beautiful palm tree pictures too... I don't know how in the world you'll decide.

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorites are (counting from top to bottom as they appear on your blog): #1 (waterfall?), 5 (palm tree close up), 8 (feet on the beach), 9 (evening shot)

    Have fun. Most of my house is in 'indecision land' so I know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be interested to see how this turns out. I've been planning on incorporating our vacation pics in our bedroom and doing Mexico pics in our bath. Please show us the completed project!

    ReplyDelete