Monday, May 25, 2009

Thrifted Treasure and... Bacon Flu?

Yes, Bacon Flu. But more on that in a bit...

Last Friday I woke up with a nasty neck and head ache. By noon, it was a nasty cold. And by the time Sunday rolled around, I felt so awful and was in so much pain from the coughing and sore throat, that my hubby took me to the walk in clinic.

So what does any of this have to do with thrifted treasures and Bacon Flu?


As we approached the Walk In Clinic's doors, we noticed a lady sitting outside the door with a tray of gloves, masks, fancy thermometer, and other medical gadgets. She was there to ask you questions, take your temperature, and see if you had any symptoms of swine flu. Well, even though I didn't have flu symptoms, I still had to wear this fashionable mask in order to enter the clinic. Hubby immediately started to laugh his head off and said, "I've just got to get a picture of this for your blog!" So, per courtesy of my hubby, here I am in all my sick glory, in a hospital mask, wearing my new thrifted sweater. I wish you could see the details on the arm better - pink argyle - but I'm just not up to takin' more photos today.

So after an hour or so I came out with the result - bronchitis. yuck. What a way to spend the long weekend. Nevertheless, I am determined to make it to at least one thrift store today. The one five minutes from my house is having a 40% sale on almost everything in the store! yippie!


With all the antibiotics, cough medicine and other stuff the doctor prescribed I was having a tough time keeping track of it all. So wouldn't you know what my sweet hubby did - he found a basket to corral all the prescriptions and thermometer, etc. and came proudly into the room announcing, "Some cute little gal from bloggy land taught me to use baskets for everyday use." How sweet is that! He was referring to this post from last week. He takes such good care of me.

So at this point you're probably wondering, "Where does the Bacon Flu come in?" Well, after having gone through the Swine Flu questionnaire at the clinic, I was reminded of something that happened at our church not to long ago. Hubby and I go to a Latino church and the main service is in Spanish. So back when the Swine Flu first made headlines, our Pastor got up and led a lovely prayer for protection from the flu and guidance for the Doctors and Nurses who were dealing with the outbreaks. It was a nice time of prayer... unfortunately my mom and I were trying to control our laughing through the whole thing. Why you ask? Swine in Spanish is Porcino. Unfortunately, we both misunderstood and thought he said Tocino... which is bacon! Of course we got the giggles every time he said swine thinking he said bacon. Oh my, I will never forget the day we thought the prayer was for the bacon flu!

So the good news is that I am on the mend from the bronchitis, and I do not have either swine or bacon flu. So off with the mask and onto the thrift store!

What great treasures did you find over the weekend? Be sure to head on over to Southern Hospitality and see what everyone else found!

5 comments:

  1. Your husband is so sweet! :)

    Glad you're on the mend and hope you are all better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to see you aren't feeling well, hope you get better soon! I was sick for about 10 days and just started to feel better at the beginning of the weekend.

    I was lucky and had great luck this weekend. I posted some pictures on my blog of my great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you are sick, you'll have to get well so you can get out thrifting soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the bacon flu story!! Too cute! Hope your feeling better. Hubby is so sweet & lovin that he used a basket to corral everything ;)
    Toni

    ReplyDelete