Friday, May 22, 2009

Basket-A-Holic

Are you a fellow basket lover?


There should be support groups for people like us!







“Hello, my name is Emily. I am addicted to baskets.”



There would be snacks. Served in baskets, of course.





I can't tell you exactly when the basket love kicked into overdrive. It was kind of gradual, I guess. I've always liked them and used them for decoration. But somewhere along the way, I discovered their practical use. I'm not talking about the occasional magazine basket. (although I love my magazine basket too!) I mean EVERYDAY practical use.







Take for example, this large hefty beauty. I lug this one around almost everywhere. It has served for buffet tables, book transportation, a trip to the market, etc. etc. And the price? Just right at $3.99







Remember this basket from a previous post? 25 cents! I still need to find a permanent use for it. Right now, it seems happy to hold my linens while I sort laundry.




(Just want to give you a heads up: Next week we’ll be talking about practical solutions for the dreaded linen closet. Check back for the post “Wash Cloths, Bath Towels, and Sheets… Oh my!” We’ll be covering linen storage essentials. You won’t want to miss it!)









And of course, we can’t forget the magazine basket. This one is from Pier 1. I've had it for 6 years and it always stays by my current favorite reading spot.








How about in the bathroom? Stock that basket up with some smelly stuff and some good reading material. Are you short on bathroom storage? Get a pretty basket and throw in some rolls of TP, and save that under the sink storage for the things you really don’t want anyone to see when they first walk in.



(By the way, I usually don't keep the basket on the side of the tub. But the lighting was so bad in there, I had to get it out of its usual corner.)








This funky shaped basket was recently thrifted on a 50% off day. Care to guess the price? 99 cents. Woo Hoo! And it is in pristine shape. The black would look awesome contrasted with a colorful fruit and flowers display. Hmmm. I may just have to host a get-together to try out that idea. Wanna come?








And last, but certainly not least, let’s not leave out the sweet little baskets. So many uses. Some are purely decorative. Others are just right for catching the little doo-dads and what-cha-ma-call-its that collect on the desk, kitchen counter, livings room, etc.









Do you have stairs in your house? If so, place an attractive basket at the foot of the stairs and use it to catch all the stuff that needs to make its way upstairs. Not only will it help corral the clutter in your main living area, but it will eliminate multiple trips of hauling everyday junk back upstairs.







Do you have enough remotes to start your own Radio Shack? Find a basket that will fit inside an entertainment center, pile them in, and close those doors.








Do your kids (and I use the term “kids” loosely. Ahem, hubby. J ) have several controls for their video games and entertainment accoutrement's? Get them a magazine basket that will hold them all, yet still fits within your decor scheme. Don’t fret. It doesn’t have to be expensive. Just practical.








And if it’s the wrong color, just attack it with a coat of spray paint.



So you see baskets are not just for decoration. They have amazing potential for practical everyday use. Here at too Blessed to Stress, we have a goal of conquering the clutter and chaos. So go dig in the closets and garage for your baskets. Give ‘em a good dusting, air them out in the sun, and put ‘em to good use. If you’re in the market for a new basket but your budget is tight, head to the local boutique… the thrift store. There are all sorts of options at the boutique!






How do you use your baskets? Do you prefer small, medium or large size of baskets? I’d love to hear in the comments below.



Oh and don’t forget to attend your Basket-A-Holics support group. I’ll be there. You’ll know which one I am right away. I’ll be the one with the snacks in a basket.



I'm adding this post over at Hooked on Houses as part of the Hooked on Friday Linky Party. head on over there and see what everyone else is hooked on!


3 comments:

  1. I love baskets too! I have a ton of them. I used to be a Longaberger basket lady...so glad I don't do it anymore. I wouldn't have room in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave into wife's basket habit long ago. I'm sitting at her office desk right now. I can see 19 baskets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubby and the kids don't use the 'remote' basket. I round them up at night and put them back in it...got tired of it and use the basket for little things in the den now....remotes are on the ottoman. ;/

    ReplyDelete