Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Theme With Ease

You know the American flag cake with strawberries and blueberries for 4th of July?
This is my twist for a Colombian flag; made for Colombian independance day.

It's party time! And once a theme is chosen and the guest list made it's time to figure out the deatils. I'm the kind of gal who loves the details of a party - matching colors, all the goodies, themed games, decorated serving tables, etc. etc. But if I'm going to go all out with a theme I certainly don't want to go all out with the budget. So what's a party loving girl to do?


Jam Tarts - pie dough filled with grape and strawberry jam.

In order to have a party that looks like a millon bucks without spending a million bucks, I have had to find ways to cut back on certain areas - like the cake. Sure it's easier to buy a cake. But sometimes it can be more expensive. Don't get me wrong - when I'm in a pinch, it's pre-made, store bought all the way. And that's just fine with me! But when I have time to plan ahead, a homemade cake is usually much more inexpensive and has that special homemade touch.

Notre Dame football cupake cake.
Giraffe Cake - homemade marshmallow fondant.
So easy and tastes much better than store bought.
(I forgot to outline a spot - do you see it?)

Another Cupcake Cake shaped like a turtle. Fun fun fun!

See the rocks? Those are Chocolate rocks!
They taste awesome - find them in the bulk candy section of stores like Winco.

Feeling too timid to try a shaped cake? How about the elegant and delicious Death By Chocolate? {click here for recipe}


What do you do to cut back on party costs?
What are your best kept party planning secrets?

All photos and cakes made by yours truly.

3 comments:

  1. Those cakes are adorable! How about you share your recipe for homemade marshmallow fondant with us?:)

    I don't host a lot of parties, but when I do I don't "pre-plan" much of a menu. I go to our local discount grocer, whatever they have good deals on is what I'll get and plan my menu around it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to plan parties...before I began homeschooling. I would save money by pouring over books and magazines from the library (or from my massive collection of cookbooks!) and finding easy and inexpensive but impressive foods/decorations. I would save those in files by theme, so that they were always where I needed when I needed them. Someday I'll get back to my files, but for now I'm enjoying this stage of life.
    BTW, Emily, I LOVE your giraffe cake! Too cute! :-D
    *smiles*
    debbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, homemade is very special! I love the cakes! The giraffe is so cute and it did take a few minutes before I found the "spot"!

    I usually save a lot on parties by serving appetizers only, which means I don't host a party around any meal times. Food is the most expensive part of the party, but it saves when you don't serve a meal.

    ReplyDelete