Thursday, June 10, 2010

Major Overhaul

Home Sweet Home Again!
Just got back from a fantastic vacation with Hubby's side of the family. Wonderful time with loved ones, boating, swimming, games, s'mores, and yummy food. I LOVE family time! And although I hated to leave our lovely water front cabin {gorgeous view!}, it does feel good to be home.

I missed this sweet little pup!

So here's the deal. 
I am hoping someone can shed light on this for me:

What is it about coming home from a vacation that gets me all motivated to deep clean the house? Do you feel that way too? Or am I the only goofball out there? Once the laundry is in the wash, I'm rady to tackle the rest of the house with cleaning furry!


When it comes time for a major decluttering of a room, I like to arm myself with these decluttering weapons:

~ piggy bank for lose change - I don't let change keep floating around after cleaning, it needs to be rounded up right away... that way it's ready for a rainy day...or a last minute garage sale.
~ trash bags - one for trash and the other for recycle
~ ziploc baggies - snack, sandwich, quart and gallon sizes to store "junk drawer" items neatly
~ a box for Goodwill items - If you don't love/need it and are not going to give it so someone, donate it and let someone else enjoy it {totally preaching to the choir here *sigh* I am getting better though!}
~ magnetic paper clip holder - you have no idea how many paper clips I find hanging around
~ a return/to-do basket - Library books, borrowed items that need to find their way back to rightful owners, etc.
~ containers of all sizes - large for storing items, small for sorting little things like hair clips, pens/pencils, bills/receipts, etc.


Once everything has been sorted, stored or returned it makes the actual cleaning of the space so much more enjoyable.

What tricks do you use when decluttering a room?

All photos taken by yours truly.

4 comments:

  1. I adhere to the "If I haven't seen it/worn it/used it in the past 6 months or forgot I even had it, it gets donated" rule. I try to do this at least twice a year, sometimes more if needed.

    I also re-purpose containers to keep things organized instead of buying new organizers. A plastic Folgers coffee container now holds scrap yarn. A cardboard wine bottle gift tube with a hole cut in the lid is where we put loose change. Jelly jars are used for paper clips and spare buttons. Comforter bags are used for seasonal bedding, instead of stuffing the linen closet. This way the bedding is protected and can be stored. (Could also be a cheap way to store seasonal clothing as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I wish I was taking a vacation soon! I so need it! LOL!

    I'm not the type to clean when I get home from vacation, but that may be because I have two very rambunctious kids who can wear me out like no other! HAHAHA! Although I keep my place cleaned as much as possible, London likes to follow me around and undo it all. But, I think I finally got her to put her toys away and leaving them in the bin.

    I LOVE your idea on carrying a piggy bank around! I'm definitely going to have to try that! I just put it in my pocket, then find it in the washer later! HA! I'm so stealing this idea though! Maybe I'll name the piggy GW (which is of course short for Goodwill)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a nice vacation. I feel the same way. We just got back last week and I had to deep clean the house before I felt good about being home again. Weird I know.

    I'm hosting the 90 Days of Kindness Challenge and I'd love it if you took the challenge with me!

    Laura @ along for the ride

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you clean after your vacation, when you are all refreshed! I, unfortunately, feel the need to deep clean just before a vacation--you know, during that crazy time of packing and planning...!! I must admit, tho, that I love coming home to a clean house, even if it doesn't stay that way for long! :-)
    Glad you're home and that you had a wonderful time!!
    *smiles and hugs*
    debbi

    ReplyDelete