Thursday, October 3, 2013

Investments - Day 3


See this frame? It is one of the best investments I have made for our home decor. I use the term "Investment" lightly, since I purchased it at the Fancy Store {Goodwill Outlet} where everything is purchased by the pound. So it cost me a total of $1.23. 

But it is one of the most versatile pieces I have to go over the gaping fireplace hole. {We didn't have a TV for several years, and even when we did I always had it in a separate armoire. I'm just not a fan of having the TV be the center of attention. But that's another story all together.}

The frame was an ordinary color of wood, no stain or finish. My original vision was to have bits of apple green and black peek through the creamy white top coat. But due to one thing or another {mainly my impatience to let every coat of paint thoroughly dry before painting and sanding another coat} it doesn't have quite the weathered look  I was going for. Nevertheless, I love the results. Sometimes an accident impatience can produce happy results.




Now here comes the best part. Get ready, it may blow your mind how simple and versatile this simple trick is. 


Ready.... foam poster board.
From the Dollar Store.
One sheet, cut down to size and I have the perfect backdrop to hang a 12x12 scrapbook page decorated with vinyl for any season, holiday, or special occasion. 




And because I was being all thrifty impatient again I didn't even bother to glue gun the poster board on. Maybe someday I will. But for now, clear pieces of scotch tape are holding it on. 

The beauty of the poster board is that it creates a blank canvas each time I remove the 12x12 sheet. I already have a few made up for spring/summer and fall. All that's needed is a couple pieces of - you guessed it - scotch tape and presto! New seasonal decor. 



For fall, I even have cute little matching bunting. All that was needed was a scrap of matching paper, jute twine, some stickers{or in this case vinyl cut stickers}, and a hot glue gun. It's held on in the back with... surprise, scotch tape.

I could even get all crazy and line the poster board with patterned wrapping paper, brown postal wrap, sheet music, love notes, etc. You name it, it can be done!

And when the poster board gets too beat up, all it costs is $1 to replace... and some more scotch tape to stick it back up.


What "Investment" have you made to bring some lovely into your home? Have you blogged about it? Let me know in the comments below so I can come over and check it out!

Note: Scotch brand tape did not sponsor me to mention their name umpteen times. Should they like to, feel free to contact me anytime :)

All photos taken by yours truly.







No comments:

Post a Comment